Friday, April 4, 2008

paper 2 proposal

For paper 2, I have chose to write about prisons in America. The U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world, and just two years ago was recorded with 7 million people imprisoned. China is second with 1.5 million people behind bars although China has four times the population of the U.S.
I would like to breakdown this cultural landscape by exploring the politics, sociology, psychology, and moral issues surrounding the prison.
What does the physical structure of the prison do to the mind of the inmate? Why is the U.S. incarceration so drastically high?

Argument:

American prisons are a flawed system where there is more money, time, and effort spent, putting Americans in jail, rather than a system which would see reduced crime and keeping people out.

4 comments:

Ali Levendusky said...

Hey Dan,
I think the topic you picked is very interesting and will have a lot of good information to offer. I think as soon as you are able to get some more information on the landscape you will be set. I think that the cultural impact on society with place vs. person will be interesting to see. Good job so far and good luck with the rest of your paper.

Also, great job on our group presentation.

vanballa25 said...

I really like this topic. You have a very good argument. Are you going to look into the race factory of prisons in both the US and in China? I've heard people refer to prison as he government's legal way of slavery. What do you think about this? Is this politics? This definitely has a hugh cultural impact which can go different ways. Good luck with this.

Anonymous said...

This is great! Not going to lie, the prison thing is border line creepy but I'm intrigued on what I will learn from your paper (if I ever get to read it!) Just make sure you go more into detail about the landscape itself.

Cathy C. said...

Dan - are you going to focus on a specific prison? If so which one?

I definitely love the originality of your topic and it poses very interesting questions. Good job